Saturday, September 11, 2010

Meals on Wheels...

Beansies

Yellow Bus
Battery Park
Burlington Vermont

Food: Burgers, Fries, and Dogs

Today's lesson: Don't judge a book by its cover. Period.

Their are a few constants in life. Things that just don't change. Regardless of time.

Cowboys fans are obnoxious.
Liberals want to take your hard earned money.
Liquor before beer you're in the clear.
And if its served in wax paper -- or the establishment "rolls" -- the food is bound to be good.

While visiting the land of Bernie "Crazy Hair" Sanders, I was informed by locals of a few eateries that were considered "musts," but the oddest sounding one was a joint called "Beansies."


Now the name was enough to peak my curiosities, but when i was told it was an old school bus parked on the edge of Lake Champlain, I had to check it out.


I arrived at Battery Park around 2pm or so and much to my surprise there it was.


A seemingly disheveled bright yellow bus parked conveniently near a playground, a lake view and the Burlington PD, the snack-mobile has been keeping marathon attendees, families and dating couples in reasonably priced fast food since 1944

I can tell you, with as much time as SuitOchoCinco spends on the road the best places I have come across are the ones that are holes in the wall.


And this place is definitely one.

I strolled up to the window and was greeted by two enthusiastic young men who asked me what they could get me.

I had to order their staples, a cheeseburger, a Michiganer hot dog, and Beansies famous fresh hand cut fries augmented with a spray of vinegar.

The food came up under five minutes later and, for under $7, things were looking good.

I strolled to the edge of the park, and sat on the wall
overlooking lake Champlain.


My box of food resting in my lap I was taken back by the beautiful view.


Oh, and the Lake was pretty too.

I jumped in with both feet.


Starting with the burger I carefully folded back the wax paper (great sign) and took my first bite.


Heaven. The burger was perfectly cooked and the cheese was melted to perfection.


Moving on I dug into the Beansies signature item. Their Michiganer Hot Dog comes drenched in meat sauce.


Oh my... my taste buds stood attention and finished it in what seemed to be a second.


Nearing full I hesitated at the pile of golden brown french fries, but I had to, they looked so good. I was not disappointed. Each fry was perfectly cooked and every bite was to be savored









There was no doubt. This place delivered on its promise. The entire meal was fantastic from beginning to end. If you find yourself in the land of Liberal, Burlington Vermont, Beansies bus is a MUST.

RATING: Would have bought the shirt, but they didn't sell 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment