Thursday, July 18, 2013

Going Deep Fried at Hillbilly Hot Dogs





Hillbilly Hot Dogs
1501 3rd Avenue
Huntington, WV




West Virginia, the final frontier.

Well, maybe not quite, but it is not very often that Suits find their way to the Mountaineer State. In fact, this will be the first official review for the great state of West Virginia on this blog.

So, it was up to the folks at Hillbilly Hot Dogs in Huntington, West Virginia to represent their home state and, I can tell you, they did not disappoint.

Being that I was only going to be in Huntington for the day, I made sure to scope out someplace unique and truly "West Virginian" for lunch.

Not being the most familiar with West Virginia delicacies, going to any restaurant with the "Hillbilly" seemed to be a safe bet. By the facade of "Hillbilly Hot Dogs", I could tell that this was the right place to be.

So, you may be asking, what is this place known for and what makes it so special?

Well, first off, it is a hot dog stand, that is a given. But what they are most known for is an eating challenge called the "Home Wrecker", in which the participant must eat a 15-inch hot dog in less than 12 minutes to earn himself a t-shirt. I was tempted, but felt that partaking in such a challenge would damper domestic relations with a certain Mrs. Suit317.

Instead, I opted to go with a staple menu item, per the recommendation of my friendly waitress, and ordered the "Hillbilly Hot Dog", complete with a deep-fried hot dog, homemade chilli sauce, mustard and onions.

As a side item, I again took my waitress' advice and ordered the Garlic Ranch Fries with Bacon. The bacon was "optional", but let's be serious, is bacon ever truly "optional"?

While I waited for my food to arrive, I took a few minutes to look around the place. It is truly unique and absolutely what I expected coming to a place called "Hillbilly Hot Dog".

The owner, Sonny, also came over to my table to greet me personally, and shared with me his story. He told me that this is not the original location and that the original is even more unique than this place. By unique, he meant vans and other vehicles on top of trees as well as many other fascinating pieces of artwork. He encouraged me to head up the original location. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to do so, but may have to on a return trip.

Once my order was ready, Sonny brought my order out to me and thanked me for my business.
As soon as I saw my food, I was afraid that I had made a mistake. Surely, one hot dog would not be enough to satisfy my hunger and curiosity. After all, the menu had over 20 different hot dogs on it, and here I only ordered one.

Well, even though, I only had the one hot dog, I can tell you that it was one of best chili dogs I have ever had. This was the first time that I have ever experienced a deep-fried hot dog and it was a pleasant experience. The hot dog was so moist and full of flavor.

It just goes to show that you can deep fry anything and it will instantly taste delicious. The chilli sauce was excellent as well.

As for the Garlic Ranch Fries with Bacon, they were probably the best french fries I have ever had. Seriously, bringing garlic, ranch and bacon together on french fries is just an act of brilliance. Oh, let us not forget the cheddar cheese, that only enhanced the experience.

My experience at Hillbilly Hot Dogs was excellent. If only I could find an excuse to return to Huntington to sample the rest of the expansive menu.

Rating: Bought the Shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment