Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Looking for Some Fresh "Greens"


Princess Anne County Grill
Virginia Beach, VA

Sure, Suit420 loves the wonders of modern technology.

It's nice to be able to have a video chat with my little nephew that lives across the country.

It's nice for Suit420 to know what's going on in the world on a moment's notice.

And it's nice to be able to share my eating, traveling and smoking experiences with folks from all over the globe.

In fact, since me and a few of my "buds" kicked off this SuitsinStrangePlaces thing, folks from as far away as Brazil, France, the Netherlands, Lebanon, Russia and China have logged on to check us out.

But sometimes Suit420 wants to escape the fast-paced 21st Century, and return to the "good ole days."

And on another recent trip to Virginia Beach, Suit420 found the perfect place to do just that.

Princess Anne County Grill.

On this particular day, Suit420 was searching for a farmer's market to pick up some fresh greens and fruit (not the "green" you're thinking of) and for somewhere to grab a bite to eat.

So I fired up a smoke and routed myself toward the Virginia Beach Farmer's Market.

And yeah, as usual, Suit420 had the munchies and cotton mouth bad.

The Virginia Beach Farmer's Market is pretty sweet.

There are rows of old wooden shops that makes you think of those "good ole days" Suit420 was talking about stocked with fresh fruits and vegetables. Jams. Jellies.


There's even a butcher shop and a bakery that made Suit420s munchies really kick in when I walked by.

But best of all, right there in the middle of the farmer's market, was an old-timey looking restaurant called Princess Anne County Grill.

Hmm. I had found my greens and some homemade jam. But I also stumbled across an interesting-looking restaurant.

"Why not get two birds stoned at once," Suit420 was thinking.

So I decided to head into the Princess Anne County Grill to take care of my munchies.

Wow. The place was amazing. It reminded me of the Agrirama in Tifton, GA near where Suit420 grew up.

The Grill does a wonderful job of keeping the "good ole days" feeling alive and well.

And it was much more authentic than say Cracker Barrel.



There are antique signs and furniture. It's family oriented -- there was a very nice lady, and what appeared to be her two daughters, working when I came in.

And the coolest part is that they get all of their ingredients from the other stores at the Farmer's Market.

It's not only guaranteed fresh, but Suit420 thought it was cool how all the stores did business with each other.

In fact, while I was eating, someone from the butcher's shop came down to borrow some forks.


I sat down and opened up the menu.

I wasn't surprised that they didn't serve alcohol, and it wasn't a big deal to me that day because I was just looking to munch down on some vittles.

Holy cow. The prices were amazing.

They have a "Daily Blue Plate Special" for $5.99. It ranges -- depending on what day -- from fried chicken, corn and mac and cheese, pork chops with barbeque sauce and a baked potato, and even chicken 'n dumplings and corn bread.

And yes, they even have grits for breakfast.

For Suit420, the Blue Plate Special was oven roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes and green beans.

Sounded good, but Suit420 was torn. They also have bbq sandwiches, crab cakes, steak and cheese, you name it.

Suit420 decided to try the Blue Plate Special.

While waiting on my order I took a look around. Even more awesome.


From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Princess Anne County Grill has meatloaf and live country music every Friday night. Too bad Suit420 couldn't go back in time a few months.

It wasn't long before my food arrived.

And it looked just like something my Nana would have made as a child. Very southern looking, which is perfect for Suit420s taste.

Suit420 was impressed. I had an enormous helping of mashed taters, a ton of green beans, a buttered roll and a big piece of delicious-looking turkey...

... all for 5.99.



And trust Suit420, it tasted as good as it looks.

The turkey gravy tasted great, with a little peppery flavoring.

Obviously the beans were fresh since they were from the farmer's market, and the potatoes were real -- not the fake stuff from a box.

And everything was great.

In fact, I struggled to eat it all, but when I finally downed the last bite and paid my bill, I let out a big sigh, and headed to my car to enjoy a ride with my post-meal "greens."

But if I'm ever back in Virginia Beach from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and it's a Friday night, Princess Anne County Grill is where Suit420 will be. Just follow the smoke trails and join me back in time.

You'll be glad you did.

Rating:  Bought the Shirt!










No comments:

Post a Comment